Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Let's Write a Story: Yours! --Cindy Blomquist


The thing about writing a story in real life and on paper is half the effort is just figuring out what the story is going to be.

~Robert McKee, author of the"screenwriters' bible,"
Story: Substance, Structure, Style and the Principles of Screenwriting

As you read this blog with all its great tips on writing--use action verbs, avoid cliches, just do it--I am curious: Are you writing?

Or are you stuck? I have great ideas swimming around in my head with a few even captured in my journal; but to write something formally, well, I can't quite narrow it down to what I want to say.

Well! I'd like to walk you through the process of writing a good story (yours) in the next month by offering some things I've been learning along the way as Editor of the WOTH onlineMagazine. I may not know all the nuances of writing--I'm learning all the time; but what I do know is a good story when I read it. I hope to pass on inspiring information and a few of my personal writing pet peeves to you. For instance, my biggest pet peeve with articles submitted to the magazine is a weak last paragraph. (More to come on that in an upcoming blog.)

First assignment: Figuring out what the story is going to be.

May I suggest this question as a prompt: How's it going out there?

I start my Editor's Podcast for the magazine posing that question because I truly want to know the answer. The response to my question is usually answered by way of submitted articles.

So narrow it down this week to what your story is going to be with an answer to the question: How's it going out there in your corner of the globe?

~ Cindy Blomquist, Editor of the WOTH onlineMagazine with aspiring young writer, "Coffeebean," daughter of Coffeegirl, writer/ blogger.

6 comments:

Linda said...

Oh, I'm so excited for all you will teach us this month! I am passionate about people telling their stories. I teach a memoir class based on Deuteronomy 4:3a, 9 (paraphrased) – “Always remember, and never forget, what you’ve seen God do for you, and be sure to tell your children and grandchildren!”

I'm eager to hear more from you.

Unknown said...

Ohhhwooo!!!!!! This is going to be good! Looking forward to this wonderful writing challenge ahead.

Unknown said...

Some days it goes quite well in my corner of the world but then there are even more days when I must work hard to maintain my passion for why I am here!

Take the other day. We're still working on language skills so we carefully scripted what needed to be said, checking it to make sure it was correct. Then, just to be safe we typed it on a paper. As we approached the person we needed to speak with and greeted her we quickly decided it was best just to hand her the paper with our request on it. As she began to read it, a big smile came across her face and by the time she finished she was laughing profusely. We did get the problem solved but to this day we have no idea what the paper must have said that was so funny. Fortunately this was a good day with the language problem.

Cindy said...

I'm excited you are eager!

@CactusSmiling-thanks for all your exclamation points. I'm encouraged.

@Linda-please share your expertise along the way.(and if you are interested in hosting the blog on "memoir writing," contact me: editor@womenoftheharvest.com

@Diane-LOL. Do you realize how interesting your story about this one small incident is?

OK everyone, work on narrowing it down to one topic, issue, incident that best answers the question, "How's it going out there?". HINT: the first word that popped into your head is probably what you want to go with.
~Cindy

KarenKTeachCamb said...

Transitions in God's plan is what pops into my head first. A journey of pain moving towards knowing God better, and to enjoying life in all it's fullness as God intended me to. I started writing this as a way of sharing with my colleagues 3 months of pain, but maybe I could write it in a way that will encourage others.

cathy said...

i wanted to learn more about writing... i have written few poems and one of it was made into a song by my students... it is my greatest desire to learn more about writing...and hoping to post one in here!!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...